New

Clicke here; Warakamb PNG You tube Channel; to see the Warakamb PNG Live Channel.

Click on above link for the latest videos from Warakamb valley PNG. See latest happenings, events, changes, people and many more.




Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Noken kaikai Buai, kaikai PK


By MAUREEN GERAWA (from post courier)

PAPUA New Guinea’s favourite chew, the betelnut, is killing at least 2000 people a year and is responsible for many health
problems, according to the PNG Medical Society.
The medical society yesterday called for the chewing and selling of betelnut to be regulated.
Medical Society president Dr Mathias Sapuri said that Papua New Guineans must be made aware of the health hazards caused by
betelnut chewing.
Dr Sapuri said every year a lot of Papua New Guineans were dying from diseases such as mouth cancer, poor oral hygiene, cancer of
the throat, gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), peptic ulcers (sores in the stomach) and inflammation of the gums.
He said these were diseases caused by betelnut chewing while rubbish from betelnut dumped around urban centres such as Port
Moresby was contributing to diseases such as tuberculosis.
The betelnut spits, he said, were also polluting the streets.
“Betelnut chewing is a major health issue. Our statistics show that mouth cancer is killing almost 2000 Papua New Guineans every
year,’’ says Dr Sapuri.
He says mouth cancer, which is killing both women and men, is like all other cancers and cannot be treated in PNG unless people
report early signs, something which is rare.
He urged policy makers, but particularly the Health Department to regulate chewing and selling of betelnut so that people should
not chew in public places like offices, public motor vehicles, schools and health facilities.
Similarly, he said the sale of betelnut should be in proper places where they should be controlled. “By regulating it, people will
take their betelnut and chew it at home,’’ he said. He said the PNG Medical Society commended the NCD Governor Powes Parkop and
the National Capital District Commission administration for imposing a ban on betelnut sales in public places in Port Moresby
but they needed support.
“If people argue that chewing of betelnut is a traditional practice, let them take their betelnut to the village. The problem is
that this practice is a cause of many health problems. It also has no nutritional value,’’ he said.
“After a person gets one to two minutes of kick (from chewing betelnut), it is over and he has wasted his money buying it.’’
Dr Sapuri said the sale of vegetables and other good food should be promoted as these foods develop the body rather than the sale
of betelnut and smoke, which were common commodities sold on the streets of Port Moresby.

Our comments.
1. Betel causes medical medical problems.
2.It is addictive.
3. makes people look unhealthy.
4. makes environment look awful.
5. There is no economic benefit.
5. there is no nutritional value.
6. Its just a waste of money.
7. Should be done away with for ever.

1 comment:

Samuel said...

My name is Samuel, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a Russian private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
I just said I should share my own story here
Thank you